I’ve saved hundreds of digital marketing blogs, articles, videos, and tools. For this page, I’ve combed through all of them to list my top 20 favorites. Given the speed at which digital marketing trends change, putting together a list of resources seems almost counter-intuitive. However, I feel these pieces will continue to stand the test of time. Feel free to share your favorites in the comments, as well!
- Understanding Google Places and Local Search – Mike Blumenthal: One of the most highly-revered local search experts, Mike Blumenthal aka “Professor Maps” shares his industry knowledge and personal experiences of this fast-changing specialty. I never miss an article that Mike publishes.
- Occam’s Razor by Avi Kaushik: A refreshing look at digital analytics and how to master it from Avinash Kaushik, an expert who provides his blunt perspective on the discipline.
- Google+ Duplicate Page Finder – by Michael Cottam: Are you a local SEO? I use this tool frequently to identify rogue Google Local pages for merging or removal.
- USPS Zip Code Lookup Tool: Does a brick-and-mortar client want to adjust their physical address for any reason? You’d better consult with this tool before making any tweaks online.
- SEOMofo Snippet Optimizer: How will your title tags and meta descriptions look in search results? Get a preview here before pushing those updates live.
- David Mihm’s Local Search Ranking Factors – Moz.com: a bible for local search specialists, this yearly survey features top experts weighing in on the factors that influence ranking in local search results.
- Top 20 Local Search Ranking Factors: An Illustrated Guide: I often share this article with local search newcomers. Miriam Ellis presents a simplified version of David Mihm’s survey above, focusing on 2013’s top 20 factors in a visual way.
- (DIAGRAM) The 2016 Local Search Ecosystem: A detailed diagram that brings much-needed clarity to the local listings space.
- (VIDEO) How Google Generates Business Listings: David Mihm shares a Whiteboard Friday explaining how local listings are built.
- Using Simple Math to Show the Importance of Local SEO: So you’ve done everything right, but your local client is still having trouble ranking for competitive keywords? This might help you explain why – or justify more investment.
- When Big Brands Fail with Local SEO: Tips for franchises and multi-location brands to make sure you’re doing it right.
- Why Reviews are Hard – A Look at the Numbers: Most Americans have no desire to leave an online review…and that’s just one reason.
- Reviews: Sometimes You Miss the Forest for the Trees: Mike Blumenthal sets expectations and provides perspective on how to approach a review management strategy.
- 5 Tips For Responding to Negative Customer Reviews Online: Digital Expert Andrew Shotland shares his tips for conflict resolution.
- Are Branded PPC Ads Incremental to Organic, or do they Cannibalize Organic Search? A very quick read – explains the incremental benefits of bidding on Branded keywords using hard data.
- Facebook’s organic reach over and out, what’s next for brands? It was only a matter of time before Facebook started making brands pay to be seen. It appears that day has come.
- Digital Marketing and Analytics: Two Ladders for Magnificent Success: this article is a guiding light when building a brand’s digital marketing and analytics practices.
- Guide to Using Call Tracking for Local Search: The most conclusive, comprehensive guide I have seen regarding the implementation of call tracking in SEO.
- The Complete Digital Analytics Ecosystem: How to Win Big: A longy-but-goody. As advertisers are pushed to justify their marketing spend, the ability to master analytics has quickly become one of the most sought-after skills. This guide will show you how that can be done.
- What are UTM Tracking Codes? You should probably start using them today…